The electric bike battery is one of the largest parts of the bike, and determining the right place to mount it on the bike can be a challenge.
The idea in determining the appropriate location for the battery aim in choosing the place that is least used for you so that you can use all the available places on the bike effectively.
In this post, we will share with you the best places to mount an electric bike battery, and we will also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each location.
Where to mount the battery on an ebike?
As we explained at the beginning of the post, choosing the right place for the battery depends mainly on your use of the bike
As a general rule, there are three places where the electric bike battery can be mounted, which are the rear rack, the bottom tube, or in a triangle bag inside the frame.
Now let’s discuss each place in terms of advantages and disadvantages so that you can choose the right place for you
1- Mounting Ebike battery on the rear rack.
When you mount the battery on the rear rack of the electric bike, you are loading the weight of the battery on the rear wheel, which may have some disadvantages as well as some advantages.
- Mounting the battery on the rear rack enables you to use the Bottom Tube to place the water bottle more practically.
- It gives you more freedom to move your feet on the pedal.
- The battery is more protected because in the event of a fall it will be on the rear rack.
- easy to mount and doesn’t require extra tools or drilling.
- Adding the weight of the battery to the rear wheel makes it more difficult to go up the hill.
- You can’t see the battery status while riding a bike.
- Mounting the battery in the rear rack increases the effort when using the pedal because you will need more torque to pull the extra weight.
- you won’t be able to add more items on the rear rack.
Mounting the battery on the Bottom Tube is the preferred place for all electric bike manufacturers and this is for several advantages that we will explain in this part also we will share some disadvantages for choose this place.
- Placing the battery on the Bottom Tube means that the battery will be located in the middle of the electric bike, which increases the balance.
- Ease of going up hills because the weight of the battery is in the middle of the bike.
- Get the highest possible torque from the bike with normal effort.
- You can check the status of the battery and its lights while you are riding a bike.
- You can use the rear rack to put extra things on the bike.
- You may feel some heat near your feet due to the heating of the battery.
- There may be some friction with the battery when using the pedal.
- In the event of a fall, the battery will be more likely to hit the ground.
- may require drilling in the bottom tube.
- you can’t use the bottom tube to mount your water bottle.
3-Mounting Ebike battery inside the frame using a triangle bag.
Using a bag in the shape of a triangle and placing the battery in it is often because the battery comes in the form of a triangle, it is installed in the three sides of the frame.
This method has disadvantages and advantages, which we will explain here.
- Ease to mount within the frame.
- The controller can be mounted inside the same bag, even if this method increases the temperature of the controller.
- Increase ebike balance.
- Easy to go up the hill.
- You will not be able to use any part of the frame.
- Feel the heat of the battery.
- Friction with the battery when using the pedal.
- The bag will be easy to cut.
After we have explained the most important advantages and disadvantages of each place where you can mount the battery of your electric bike.
We will try to summarize the differences between the three places (from my point of view) by making a comparison between them
Note: Everyone has different uses for an electric bike. There is no good or bad place, but your need is what determines what is right for you.
|Item||Rear Rack||Bottom tube||Triangle bag|
|frame additional use (mounting more items)||Yes||No||No|
|Easy to mount||Yes||No||Yes|
|Checking battery status||No||Yes||No|
|Using Rear Rack||No||Yes||Yes|